iGEN
Visit IGEN World Explore IGEN Expo
EXPLORE UPGRADE PLANS
BREAKING
Home ›› Logistics ›› Shipping Freight ›› Tankers Lng ›› Indian Vessel Sunk in Suspected Houthi Bomb-Boat Attack; Oil Spill Off Oman Expands Sharply

Indian Vessel Sunk in Suspected Houthi Bomb-Boat Attack; Oil Spill Off Oman Expands Sharply

A suspected Houthi bomb-boat attack sank the Indian-flagged cargo vessel Faize Noore Oliya in the southern Red Sea on Tuesday, with all 14 crew rescued. Separately, an oil spill from the sanctions-listed tanker Caroline Bezengi off Oman has expanded to about 150 sq km, threatening a protected marine area.

iG
iGEN Editorial
August 5, 2026
Indian Vessel Sunk in Suspected Houthi Bomb-Boat Attack; Oil Spill Off Oman Expands Sharply

A suspected Houthi bomb-boat attack sank an Indian-flagged cargo vessel in the southern Red Sea on Tuesday, while a separate oil spill from a sanctions-listed tanker off Oman expanded sharply, according to Splash247.

The mechanised sailing vessel Faize Noore Oliya was struck around 13 nautical miles south of Hodeidah, a port controlled by the Houthis, before capsizing and sinking. India's shipping minister Sarbananda Sonowal said all 14 people onboard — 13 Indian nationals and one Yemeni — were rescued by forces aligned with Yemen's internationally recognised government and taken to Mokha. Maritime security consultancy Windward identified the incident as a bomb-boat attack.

Attack underscores Red Sea risk

The Houthis had not claimed responsibility by Tuesday evening, although Yemeni government-aligned forces blamed the group, Splash247 reported. The attack is notable because the Houthis have recently said their renewed campaign is focused on Saudi-linked shipping; four Saudi-flagged vessels have been attacked since last month.

The Faize Noore Oliya appears to have been operating with its AIS (Automatic Identification System) switched off for 44 days before the incident, a practice that hampers vessel tracking. Its previously recorded calls included ports in the UAE, Oman and Djibouti. India condemned the attack and called for an end to the targeting of merchant shipping, saying free and unimpeded navigation through the region must be restored.

Affected operations:

  • Southern Red Sea lanes near Hodeidah remain high-risk for merchant vessels.
  • The incident adds to a growing list of merchant ships caught up in the conflict off Yemen.
  • Shippers with Saudi-linked cargoes face elevated attack risk following the recent Houthi campaign shift.

Oil spill off Oman expands

Further east, an oil spill from the grounded, sanctions-listed suezmax Caroline Bezengi off Oman has expanded sharply, raising fears of a major environmental disaster in a protected marine area, according to Splash247. Satellite imagery assessed by Greenpeace Germany on Monday indicated the spill now covers around 150 sq km, up from an estimated 20 sq km a week earlier. The sheen stretches nearly 90 km, with thick patches of oil reaching the southern and western shores of Qibliyah Island in Dhofar.

The 274-metre Cameroon-flagged tanker, sanctioned by the UK, EU, Canada and Switzerland over its role in carrying Russian oil, is believed to have more than 800,000 barrels onboard. Experts say the darker colour of the slick could indicate heavier leakage, possibly from a breached fuel tank, while the vessel may be settling deeper on the rocky shoreline.

Oil spill indicator Monday assessment Week earlier
Area covered ~150 sq km ~20 sq km
Sheen length ~90 km n/a
Coastal impact Southern and western shores of Qibliyah Island n/a

Implications for shippers and operators

For freight forwarders and ocean carriers, the Red Sea remains a volatile transit zone. The Faize Noore Oliya attack confirms that even smaller, non-containerised cargo vessels are being targeted, not just large tankers or boxships. Operators with Saudi-linked cargoes or vessels calling at Yemeni-adjacent ports should review security protocols and consider rerouting or armed escort options where feasible. The AIS shutdown on the attacked vessel also underscores the difficulty of tracking non-compliant ships, which can complicate risk assessments and cargo visibility.

The expanding oil spill off Oman is a separate but mounting environmental and operational concern. If the Caroline Bezengi continues to leak, nearby shipping lanes and the protected marine area around Qibliyah Island could face disruption, potentially affecting vessel transits and cleanup operations in the region. Shippers with cargoes routed past Oman's Dhofar coast should monitor navigational warnings and be prepared for potential delays or route changes.

Watch list

  • Whether the Houthis officially claim responsibility for the Faize Noore Oliya attack and whether their Saudi-linked targeting expands further.
  • Any escalation in attacks on merchant shipping in the southern Red Sea or Bab el-Mandeb approach.
  • Satellite assessments of the Caroline Bezengi spill for further expansion, thicker oil patches, or signs of heavier leakage.
  • Possible rerouting decisions by carriers and charterers in response to the elevated security and environmental risks.

Sources: Splash247 Maritime

Keep Reading

Recommended Stories

US Disables Containership in Gulf of Oman While Red Sea Strike Kills Six Seafarers Logistics

US Disables Containership in Gulf of Oman While Red Sea Strike Kills Six Seafarers

On Tuesday, US forces disabled the Panama-flagged containership Vela Nova in the Gulf of Oman, while a separate ballistic-missile attack on the Egyptian-owned general cargoship Tihamah near the Bab el-Mandeb killed six seafarers. The incidents underscore elevated threats for commercial shipping along two of the Middle East's critical maritime corridors.

August 12, 2026
Cargo Vessel Attacked by Armed Assailants Off Yemen, Raising Red Sea Security Alarms Logistics

Cargo Vessel Attacked by Armed Assailants Off Yemen, Raising Red Sea Security Alarms

A bulk carrier was attacked by armed assailants approximately 30 nautical miles southwest of Hodeidah, Yemen, on July 6, 2026. The vessel's armed security team returned fire, and the attackers withdrew. No group claimed responsibility, but the incident highlights persistent Houthi and piracy threats in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden.

July 6, 2026
Saudi's Yanbu Port Sees Busiest Day Since Houthi Blockade as Tankers Run Dark Logistics

Saudi's Yanbu Port Sees Busiest Day Since Houthi Blockade as Tankers Run Dark

Business-Today reported that Saudi Arabia's Yanbu terminal appeared to log its busiest day since Houthi threats disrupted Red Sea shipping, with five VLCCs at its oil-loading berths. Tankers carrying Saudi crude, including the Lesvos and Desh Vaibhav, are transiting the Bab el-Mandeb Strait with transponders switched off, and exports are being rerouted via Egypt's Sidi Kerir and around Africa. Persian Gulf crude outflows reached 8.4 million barrels on Friday despite rising security risks.

August 3, 2026
Houthis Keep Up Pressure on Saudi Shipping with Fourth Tanker Attack Amid Partial Red Sea Recovery Logistics

Houthis Keep Up Pressure on Saudi Shipping with Fourth Tanker Attack Amid Partial Red Sea Recovery

Yemen's Houthis attacked the 49,990 dwt tanker NCC Ghazal, the fourth Saudi-linked vessel targeted since declaring a blockade. Despite a partial recovery in traffic through Bab el-Mandeb, crossings remain volatile with no VLCCs or LNG carriers. The Joint Maritime Information Center has raised the threat level to substantial.

July 29, 2026