iGEN
Visit IGEN World Explore IGEN Expo
EXPLORE UPGRADE PLANS
BREAKING
Home ›› Logistics ›› Shipping Freight ›› Container Shipping ›› US Disables Containership in Gulf of Oman While Red Sea Strike Kills Six Seafarers

US Disables Containership in Gulf of Oman While Red Sea Strike Kills Six Seafarers

On Tuesday, US forces disabled the Panama-flagged containership Vela Nova in the Gulf of Oman, while a separate ballistic-missile attack on the Egyptian-owned general cargoship Tihamah near the Bab el-Mandeb killed six seafarers. The incidents underscore elevated threats for commercial shipping along two of the Middle East's critical maritime corridors.

iG
iGEN Editorial
August 12, 2026
US Disables Containership in Gulf of Oman While Red Sea Strike Kills Six Seafarers

Two separate attacks on commercial vessels in the Gulf of Oman and the Bab el-Mandeb on Tuesday disrupted shipping along two of the Middle East's most critical maritime corridors, with US forces disabling the containership Vela Nova and a separate ballistic-missile strike on the general cargoship Tihamah killing six seafarers, according to US Central Command (CENTCOM) and Yemeni authorities.

Twin incidents hit key corridors

The incidents come as CENTCOM enforces a blockade against Iranian ports that Washington reimposed in July, and as Yemen's Houthi forces continue to target vessels in the Red Sea. CENTCOM said a Navy MH-60 helicopter fired two Hellfire missiles at the Panama-flagged containership Vela Nova after the vessel allegedly ignored repeated warnings and continued towards an Iranian port in breach of the blockade. The strike disabled the ship's steering gear, CENTCOM reported. The command said it has now redirected 55 commercial vessels, disabled three and boarded two since the blockade was reinstated.

Vela Nova: disabled by US forces

UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) reported that the Vela Nova was struck around 71 nautical miles from Pakistan while westbound through international waters in the Gulf of Oman. The master reported an impact in the stern and steering compartment, leaving the ship not under command, according to UKMTO. A resulting fire was extinguished and all crew were accounted for without injury, the agency said. The 1997-built, Panama-flagged Vela Nova had been sailing from India towards the Middle East.

Tihamah: six dead in Bab el-Mandeb strike

Much further west, the Egyptian-owned general cargoship Tihamah was hit near the Bab el-Mandeb in an attack blamed on the Houthis by Yemen's internationally recognised government. Yemen's transport ministry said three Pakistani crew and one Indonesian seafarer were killed after three ballistic missiles struck the vessel, starting a fire and causing significant damage. A subsequent attack hit the area after rescue forces arrived, according to Yemen's coastguard, killing another two personnel and taking the overall death toll to six. Ten people were reported injured.

UKMTO independently confirmed that a cargo vessel had been hit by an unknown projectile off Al Mokha, resulting in casualties. Houthi-controlled Saba subsequently reported that the group's forces had attacked a ship carrying Saudi military equipment in the Bab el-Mandeb, although the brief statement did not identify the vessel.

Vessel Flag / ownership Type Location Attack method Reported impact Casualties
Vela Nova Panama-flagged Containership Gulf of Oman, ~71 nm from Pakistan Two Hellfire missiles from US Navy MH-60 helicopter Steering gear disabled; stern and steering compartment hit; not under command; fire extinguished None reported
Tihamah Egyptian-owned General cargoship Near Bab el-Mandeb, off Al Mokha Three ballistic missiles (blamed on Houthis by Yemen's recognised government); subsequent attack after rescuers arrived Fire and significant damage Six dead, ten injured

Implications for shippers and operators

For freight forwarders and vessel operators, the twin incidents underscore the heightened risk profile along the Gulf of Oman and Bab el-Mandeb corridors. Vessels transiting these routes now face two distinct threat layers: interception by US forces enforcing the Iranian-port blockade, and Houthi missile attacks near the Red Sea chokepoint, as demonstrated on Tuesday. Operators should review voyage risk assessments against the latest CENTCOM and UKMTO advisories, confirm compliance with blockade-related directions, and ensure emergency communication and rescue coordination plans are in place. The reported casualties — including Pakistani and Indonesian crew — also highlight the need for accurate crew manifests and rapid notification procedures in the event of an incident.

Watch list

  • Whether Houthi forces identify the vessel they claimed was carrying Saudi military equipment, which could further escalate tensions in the Bab el-Mandeb.
  • Further CENTCOM enforcement actions under the Iranian-port blockade, following its reported tally of 55 vessels redirected, three disabled, and two boarded since July.
  • Any updates from UKMTO on the condition of the Vela Nova or the Tihamah, and the status of the ten injured seafarers.
  • Potential flag-state or crew-union responses to the reported deaths aboard the Tihamah.

Sources: Splash247 Maritime

Keep Reading

Recommended Stories

Indian Vessel Sunk in Suspected Houthi Bomb-Boat Attack; Oil Spill Off Oman Expands Sharply Logistics

Indian Vessel Sunk in Suspected Houthi Bomb-Boat Attack; Oil Spill Off Oman Expands Sharply

A suspected Houthi bomb-boat attack sank the Indian-flagged cargo vessel Faize Noore Oliya in the southern Red Sea on Tuesday, with all 14 crew rescued. Separately, an oil spill from the sanctions-listed tanker Caroline Bezengi off Oman has expanded to about 150 sq km, threatening a protected marine area.

August 5, 2026
Liners and Red Sea: Damn the Houthis, full speed ahead! Logistics

Liners and Red Sea: Damn the Houthis, full speed ahead!

Container spot rates are diverging sharply, with Trans-Pacific lanes climbing to new highs while Asia-Europe rates slide from July peaks. Carriers including Maersk, Hapag-Lloyd, CMA CGM, and Cosco are pushing to resume Red Sea transits despite renewed Houthi attacks and the expiry of the U.S.-Iran agreement, while Panama Canal restrictions add capacity and cost pressure, according to FreightWaves.

August 19, 2026
Saudi's Yanbu Port Sees Busiest Day Since Houthi Blockade as Tankers Run Dark Logistics

Saudi's Yanbu Port Sees Busiest Day Since Houthi Blockade as Tankers Run Dark

Business-Today reported that Saudi Arabia's Yanbu terminal appeared to log its busiest day since Houthi threats disrupted Red Sea shipping, with five VLCCs at its oil-loading berths. Tankers carrying Saudi crude, including the Lesvos and Desh Vaibhav, are transiting the Bab el-Mandeb Strait with transponders switched off, and exports are being rerouted via Egypt's Sidi Kerir and around Africa. Persian Gulf crude outflows reached 8.4 million barrels on Friday despite rising security risks.

August 3, 2026
Houthi Naval Blockade on Saudi Arabia Tightens Oil Supply Pincer, Disrupts Red Sea Tanker Routes Logistics

Houthi Naval Blockade on Saudi Arabia Tightens Oil Supply Pincer, Disrupts Red Sea Tanker Routes

Yemen's Houthis have declared a naval blockade on Saudi Arabia, causing tankers carrying Saudi crude and a Chinese car carrier to turn back in the Red Sea. The disruption threatens the fallback export route via the Red Sea, which Saudi Arabia had relied on after the Strait of Hormuz became too dangerous. Asian refiners are now seeking longer routes via Suez and the Cape of Good Hope, adding weeks to voyages and significantly increasing freight and bunker costs. Analysts warn that combined disruption of Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb could affect routes carrying roughly a quarter of global oil supply.

July 22, 2026